Skip to main content

Disney Names Ex-Warner Executive Horn to Lead Film Studio - San Francisco Chronicle

(Updates with studio rankings in the third paragraph.)

May 31 (Bloomberg) -- Walt Disney Co. named former Warner Bros. Entertainment President Alan Horn as chairman of its film operation, replacing Rich Ross, who stepped down in April after the studio's "John Carter" picture bombed with audiences.

Horn, 69, who oversaw the "Harry Potter" and "Dark Knight" pictures at Warner, will run production, distribution and marketing of Disney films, as well as those from the company's Pixar and Marvel divisions, Burbank, California-based Disney said today in a statement. He starts on June 11.

Chief Executive Officer Robert Iger has placed a high priority on the studio, which lost $84 million last quarter because of "John Carter." The studio is benefiting this month from "Marvel's The Avengers," which has posted $1.31 billion in worldwide sales and lifted Disney to first in U.S. theater revenue at $742.7 million, according to Box Office Mojo. Warner Bros., part of Time Warner Inc., is fifth with $524.1 million.

"Our results on the live-action front have been inconsistent this year in particular and the goal is to find a management team that is capable of creating higher-quality films under the Disney live-action banner on a more consistent basis," Iger said yesterday at a Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. investor conference.

Horn was eased out of his job into a consulting position at Warner Bros. in 2011. Since then his role as president has been shared by an "office of the president" comprised of Jeff Robinov, head of the Warner Bros. Pictures Group; Bruce Rosenblum, the TV group's president, and Kevin Tsujihara, who runs the home entertainment unit.

New Responsibilities

At Disney, Horn's responsibilities will include overseeing the company's three motion-picture groups. Disney also distributes films from Stephen Spielberg's DreamWorks Studios.

"The job at Disney is going to be more about managing the needs of strong and talented personalities," said Tony Wible, an analyst at Janney Montgomery Scott LLC in Philadelphia who has a neutral rating on the stock. "He needs to manage those legs of the stool."

Horn, who has also worked at Twentieth Century Fox, becomes Disney's third studio chairman in 2 1/2 years, following Ross and Dick Cook, who left in September 2009. His consulting duties at Warner Bros., which is also located in Burbank, were scheduled to run through 2013, according to a September 2010 Time Warner statement.

"He's been a part of some of the most popular films produced in the last decade, and we're very happy for him," Barry Meyer, Warner Bros. chairman and CEO said in a statement. "All of his colleagues at Warner Bros. wish him the best."

Business Breakdown

In the fiscal year ended in October, filmed entertainment was Disney's third-biggest revenue source, accounting for $6.35 billion, or 16 percent, of the company's $40.9 billion in total sales. The studio posted a $618 million operating profit.

Television, including broadcast and cable networks, was first with $18.7 billion, or 46 percent, followed by parks and resorts at $11.8 billion, or 29 percent.

"John Carter," an effects-laden, science-fiction adventure film made for $250 million, collected just $282.2 million in global ticket sales, which are split between theaters and the studio. Disney said on March 19 the film would have a $200 million operating loss.

Time Warner's filmed entertainment division had an $1.26 billion profit on 2011 revenue of $12.6 billion.

Disney rose 1.1 percent to $45.71 at the close in New York trading. The stock has gained 22 percent this year. Time Warner, based in New York, fell 0.1 percent to $34.47.

--Editors: Rob Golum, Cecile Daurat

To contact the reporter on this story: Michael White in Los Angeles at mwhite8@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Anthony Palazzo at apalazzo@bloomberg.net


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Katie Holmes enrolls Suri Cruise at pricey Manhattan private school Avenues ... - New York Daily News

James Devaney/WireImage Suri Cruise leaves Chelsea Piers. Katie Holmes reportedly enrolled her in a pricey private school near their Chelsea apartment. Suri Cruise is set to start first grade in style at a pricey new Manhattan private school this year. Katie Holmes enrolled 6-year-old Suri at Avenues, a nearly $40,000-a-year school set to open this fall, Life & Style reported. “Katie has eagerly been telling Suri all about the lunchrooms, basketball courts and different activities Avenues offers. Suri’s really excited about it,” a source told the magazine. The Chelsea school, which overlooks the High Line and isn’t far from Holmes’ apartment in the same neighborhood, boasts a rooftop playground and a fitness center, plus a gym with full-sized basketball and volleyball courts. The for-profit Tenth Ave. school stresses bilingual education, so Suri will learn in Mandarin or Spanish in addition to English. The so-called “world school” plans to open bran...

Review: 'The Raven' is a feeble fictional story - CNN

John Cusack stars as Edgar Allan Poe in "The Raven." John Cusack plays Edgar Allan Poe in "The Raven" Peter Travers: Cusack, who plays Poe with just the right blend of romantic longing and tortuous doubt Travers: Cusack captures that desperation vividly enough ( Rolling Stone ) -- There's a promising premise on the boil here. What if Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849) spent the last days of his life trying to nab a serial killer who's been using macabre ideas from Poe's short stories to off his victims? "The Pit and the Pendulum," anyone? OK, "The Raven" sounds like a TV series that gets canceled soon after its debut. But it has compensations, chief of which is John Cusack , who plays Poe with just the right blend of romantic longing and tortuous doubt. Director James McTeigue (" V for Vendetta "), an assistant to the Wachowski brothers on " The Matrix ," pulls us i...

Celebrity sightings 2024

Updated June 6, 2024, 1:37 p.m. ET June 6/6 Kendall Jenner at the upstairs café at SARTIANO's dining with a group of pals in the afternoon.  6/4 Influencers including Alix Earle and boyfriend Braxton Berrios, Lisa Hochstein and Jody Glidden and Xandra Pohl at E11even and models Brooks Nader, Camille Kostek, Lexi Williams, Christen Harper, Ellie Thumann, Katie Austin, Penny Lane, Lauren Chan, Jena Sims, Hunter McGrady, Achieng Agutu, Kamie Crawford, and Nicole Williams English celebrating Swim Week at E11even in Miami. Jude Law and wife Phillipa Coan enjoying an early dinner at The Noortwyck on Bleeker Street.  6/3 Doja Cat dining at Italian restaurant SARTIANO's at The Mercer Hotel. The SoHo hotspot has become a staple for Doja Cat's NYC trips, having been seen dining with friends at SARTIANO's during Met Gala week last month. May 5/30 Les Couleurs Art Gallery in Miami celebrating its one-year anniversary with owner Aura Copela...