Skip to main content

Hollywood Studios Disclose Their Offer on Day 113 of Writers Strike


In an apparent attempt to break a labor stalemate that has helped bring nearly all of Hollywood production to a standstill, the major entertainment studios took the unusual step on Tuesday night of publicly releasing details of their most recent proposal to the union that represents 11,500 striking television and movie writers.

The studios are confronting significant decisions about whether to push the release of big-budget films like "Dune: Part Two" into the next year, and whether the network television lineup for the 2023-2024 season can b e salvaged or reduced to reality shows and reruns.

Shortly before the public release of the proposal, several chief executives at the major Hollywood companies, including David Zaslav, who leads Warner Bros. Discovery, and Robert A. Iger, the Disney kingpin, met with officials at the Writers Guild of America, the writers' union, to discuss the latest proposal, according to three people briefed on the meeting who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the private session.

By releasing the proposal, the companies are essentially going around the guild's negotiating committee and appealing to rank-and-file members — betting that their proposal will look good enough for members to pressure their leaders to make a deal. Some writers immediately pushed back, including David Slack, whose credits i nclude "The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance" and "Person of Interest."

"Not only are these proposals still inadequate, they are an attempt by the bosses to divide our members, hoping we'll start arguing with each other over which parts we can and can't live with," Mr. Slack wrote on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter. "Don't fall for it."

The writers have been on strike for 113 days. The studios and writers resumed negotiations on Aug. 11 for the first time since early May. Since then, there has been optimism within the entertainment industry that the labor disputes might be on a path to resolution.

In a statement late last week, leaders of the writers' union said they would meet again this week with the studios.

But the public disclosure of the proposal by the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which bargains on behalf of the studios, suggests that negotiations may have again reached an impasse. The studios and writers' union had generally agreed to adhere to a media blackout while at the bargaining table, and the studio alliance has only occasionally released public statements before the guild.

"We have come to the table with an offer that meets the priority concerns the writers have expressed," Carol Lombardini, the lead negotiator for the alliance, said in a statement that accompanied the details of the latest proposal. "We are deeply committed to ending the strike and are hopeful that the Writers Guild of America will work toward the same resolution."

A representative for the Writers Guild did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Hollywood has been effectively shut down since tens of thousands of Hollywood actors joined striking screenwriters on picket lines on July 14. Both the writers and actors have called this moment "existential," arguing that the streaming era has deteriorated their working conditions as well as their compensation levels.

The studios said that their latest proposal offered the "highest wage increase" to writers in more than three decades, as well as an increase in residuals (a type of royalty) that has been a major point of contention. The studios also said that they had offered "landmark protections" against artificial intelligence, and that they vowed to offer some degree of streaming viewership data to the guild, information which had previously been held under lock and key.

In the statement, the studios said that they were "committed to reaching an equitable agreement to return the industry to what it does best: creating the TV shows and movies that inspire and entertain audiences worldwide."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Katie Holmes enrolls Suri Cruise at pricey Manhattan private school Avenues ... - New York Daily News

James Devaney/WireImage Suri Cruise leaves Chelsea Piers. Katie Holmes reportedly enrolled her in a pricey private school near their Chelsea apartment. Suri Cruise is set to start first grade in style at a pricey new Manhattan private school this year. Katie Holmes enrolled 6-year-old Suri at Avenues, a nearly $40,000-a-year school set to open this fall, Life & Style reported. “Katie has eagerly been telling Suri all about the lunchrooms, basketball courts and different activities Avenues offers. Suri’s really excited about it,” a source told the magazine. The Chelsea school, which overlooks the High Line and isn’t far from Holmes’ apartment in the same neighborhood, boasts a rooftop playground and a fitness center, plus a gym with full-sized basketball and volleyball courts. The for-profit Tenth Ave. school stresses bilingual education, so Suri will learn in Mandarin or Spanish in addition to English. The so-called “world school” plans to open bran...

Review: 'The Raven' is a feeble fictional story - CNN

John Cusack stars as Edgar Allan Poe in "The Raven." John Cusack plays Edgar Allan Poe in "The Raven" Peter Travers: Cusack, who plays Poe with just the right blend of romantic longing and tortuous doubt Travers: Cusack captures that desperation vividly enough ( Rolling Stone ) -- There's a promising premise on the boil here. What if Edgar Allan Poe (1809-1849) spent the last days of his life trying to nab a serial killer who's been using macabre ideas from Poe's short stories to off his victims? "The Pit and the Pendulum," anyone? OK, "The Raven" sounds like a TV series that gets canceled soon after its debut. But it has compensations, chief of which is John Cusack , who plays Poe with just the right blend of romantic longing and tortuous doubt. Director James McTeigue (" V for Vendetta "), an assistant to the Wachowski brothers on " The Matrix ," pulls us i...

Celebrity sightings 2024

Updated June 6, 2024, 1:37 p.m. ET June 6/6 Kendall Jenner at the upstairs café at SARTIANO's dining with a group of pals in the afternoon.  6/4 Influencers including Alix Earle and boyfriend Braxton Berrios, Lisa Hochstein and Jody Glidden and Xandra Pohl at E11even and models Brooks Nader, Camille Kostek, Lexi Williams, Christen Harper, Ellie Thumann, Katie Austin, Penny Lane, Lauren Chan, Jena Sims, Hunter McGrady, Achieng Agutu, Kamie Crawford, and Nicole Williams English celebrating Swim Week at E11even in Miami. Jude Law and wife Phillipa Coan enjoying an early dinner at The Noortwyck on Bleeker Street.  6/3 Doja Cat dining at Italian restaurant SARTIANO's at The Mercer Hotel. The SoHo hotspot has become a staple for Doja Cat's NYC trips, having been seen dining with friends at SARTIANO's during Met Gala week last month. May 5/30 Les Couleurs Art Gallery in Miami celebrating its one-year anniversary with owner Aura Copela...